Rates | Forms & Publications | Employment | Vendors | About Us | Contact Us | County |

Fats, Oils and Grease

Fats, Oil and Grease (FOG) is any solid or thick substance that may cause an obstruction to wastewater flow and interfere with the normal operation of the sanitary sewer system. FOG is found in most kitchens and food service establishments and includes: meats, sauces, gravies, salad dressings, deep-fried dishes, cookies, pastries, cheese, and butter. FOG is also found in auto repair shops and general manufacturing facilities.

Why is FOG a problem?
FOG is the main cause of sewer line blockages and overflows. When sewer lines become blocked, raw sewage may back up onto streets, parking lots, and into nearby businesses and residences. When overflows occur, the presence of raw sewage can pose a health risk. For that reason, BCWS has developed the FOG program to minimize overflows.

How does BCWS control FOG?
Facilities which produce FOG are required to have grease interceptors to control discharge. In general, most food service establishments are required to maintain and clean grease interceptors every three months.

FOG Control Rule
Butler County has a FOG Control Rule which provides uniform requirements for installing and maintaining grease traps and interceptors in food service establishments.

How does BCWS monitor FOG?
Inspectors routinely examine kitchens and food service establishments to ensure compliance with BCWS’s FOG rules. BCWS also uses video cameras to evaluate sewer conditions and to identify problems and their sources.

How can customers dispose of FOG?
The most widely used options for FOG disposal are rendering services and pumping services.

  • Rendering services includes grease that has not come into contact with any type of sanitary wastewater. Therefore, grease from traps and interceptors may not be included in rendering.
  • Pumping services will remove FOG from traps and interceptors, and transport it to a wastewater treatment plant or other suitable disposal location.

Do you need more information?
For questions about Fats, Oils, & Grease (FOG), best management practices, or local ordinances, contact Industrial Services at (513) 887-5573.